As it has been suggested in the preceding anecdotes, the history and progress of the Grandpa Garton farm have converged on a project which began to take definite form in early 1933. On account of extremely low prices in nursery stock and other considerations, it seemed wise to crystallize a plan which had been slowly taking form. So a corporation was formed, the Articles of Incorporation being duly filed April 15th 1933 in the office of County Recorder at Corydon, Iowa. The officers for the first year are Pres. R.C. Speer, Vice Pres. Boyd Garton, Sec'y-Treas. Ella G. Speer with J.H. and Mamie Garton, Andy A. and Grace Marcusson as other members of the Board of Trustees.
The legal name chosen was THE HOME IN THE WEST INC., and the stated purpose was "To acquire and maintain a Home for Aged Gentlefolk." At this same time an orchard of 93 assorted trees was set. They were bought from Stark Bros. Nursery through Mr. Oral Sparks of Clio. The orchard is to be named "The Charles R. Davis Sunshine Band Memorial Orchard" since it is by funds given for this purpose that the trees are bought and set. At the first possible date when we can gather there we plan a dedication service at which time a marker made by Mr. Wm. M. Goughnour of Allerton will be set at the corner.